Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Trust me, I've got a plan...

There are certain albums that I’ll play over and over. And there are certain songs that I’ll play 40 times in a row just to hear 7.5 seconds of music or a lyric.

I downloaded Three Days Grace: One-X a few months ago and I’ve developed a love/hate relationship with the song Pain

Pain, without love
Pain, I can't get enough
Pain, I like it rough
'Cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all


This cannot be generating positive energy. But there is something about it that is like a warm blanket on a cold night. As soon as there are black clouds in my life, BHAM, out it comes and up goes the volume, like a driving rain that washes out whatever mess I’ve made.

This life is filled with hurt
When happiness doesn't work
Trust me and take my hand
When the lights go out you will understand


Something in there disturbs me, puts me off. It’s a little angsty and people say it’s not the band's best. That may be true, but it’s like a can of Pringles… I just cannot stop. It reminds me that I’m alive and that I’m glad to have a reason to be sad. There could be nothing.

Anger and agony
Are better than misery
Trust me I've got a plan
When the lights go off you will understand


All I know is that as quick as the need for this song comes, something comes along and lifts it away. It could be as simple as someone goofing off and doing the Thriller dance, or the memory of someone singing Sweet Child o' Mine on a sleepy Sunday morning.

All that is left is light. Go figure.

No comments: