Thursday, July 23, 2009

airy pauter...

went to see harry tonight. i thoroughly enjoyed it. this is not a major critique, so don't expect it.

i love the fantasy of hogwarts. the extreme joy, the pain, the sadness--it's all very real life wrapped in the lovely glow of fantasy. honestly, these stories, these characters are some of my favourites in literature and film.

as harry and dumbledore began their last little adventure tonight, the memory of my reading of the book came back full force. i read the half-blood prince in a 24 hour period. i've only done that with one other book, stephen king's IT when i was in my late teens. anyway, i had been sick and thought reading would help pass the time.

i remember reading the chapters of this last adventure. i had a nice little fever of around 101 and i was sitting at my dining room table around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. the light in my dining room was very bright and it wasn't really like me to sit at a table and read, but well, i'd been reading in bed all night and morning.

as i read the last part of that chapter... read the death of dumbledore, i lost it. i sat there and wept watching tear drops soak into the pages.

this silly little series has touched something in me, as it has millions of others. every day i look at the last book in the series that sits on my end table. i wonder if i will ever actually read it. i was there at midnight the day it was released. i grasped my copy and held it close. but, i just can't finish the story.

i want to hang on to that lovely glow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO behind...I haven't even read the Sorcerer's Stone yet....too much going on, I hope to make this winter a bookish one so I can see all the movies too!
:)