Friday, January 30, 2009

as simple as tulips...


DSC03993, originally uploaded by MisfitHue.



i did one of those "25 random things about me" lists on facebook the other day. i've been thinking about number 23: i love to get flowers, and i think that the most romantic place in st louis is the art museum.

i do love to get flowers. i'm a practical girl, but a hopeless romantic at heart. nothing quite sends me over the top like flowers arriving at work... especially tulips. that sort of action isn't really a part of my world these days, but that never stops me from surrounding myself with flowers anyway. hence the flowers in the picture.

and the art museum... yes, i love forest park and the view of the great basin from the steps of the museum. i'm also a big fan of the portrait room. i love to sit there and talk. the museum is so full passion and color, and it's got something for everyone... yup, that's the spot for me.

with whispers of valentine's day starting, i was thinking about how we show affection. when i was very young, i knew a guy who sent me flowers all the time, left notes on my car and took me to the art museum often. i think that sort of set the bar for me--not those specific actions, but the attention. my heart still skips a beat when i see paper under my windshield... of course, these days it's only a parking ticket.

thinking back, i can remember some very creative valentine's days... like a room full of balloons (which scare me to death, btw) and the contents of an entire soulard flower stand all through my apartment. a single rose and a kite... the thought of a spring day in the park? yeah, the kite was a winner.

things bought are nice, but i've always been a maker. whenever i can, i like to make a cake from scratch, make cards and i love making personalized coupons. (here's a little tip: if someone gives you coupons, use them... really.)

probably the worst valentine's day i ever had included a delightful dinner at charlie gitto's followed by Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf at the Rep. problem was the food poisoning i got half way through the second act. whew! that was awful, and i never have seen the end of that play.

i hear the rumblings of the coming holiday and i get a little sad. not because my only potential "date" is Max, the cat, but because we put so much stress on ourselves. too much money is spent and anxiety created, IMHO. a trip to a bed & breakfast would rock my world, but i don't think you can beat a little romance every day. and that can be as simple as a text... or slipping a note in a pocket.

it really isn't hard. it's as simple as tulips.

No comments: