Tuesday, June 17, 2008

kymberlieblu's burlesque review...

Get that feather boa out of the bottom of your closet and slip it through your fingers. You know you want to slide it over your shoulder and do a little shoulder shimmy. So what's holding you back?

I took my first burlesque class tonight and I've got to say… I loved it.

I didn't know what to expect and I think that helped. When I arrived one of the students was working out a routine to Billy Idol's White Wedding—in a tricked out wedding dress, of course. That might have had me backing out the door six years ago, but I've seen many a belly dancer iron out the kinks prior to a beginning class. Instead of being intimidated, it actually gave me a sort peep into the behind the scenes and showed me where I could take this if I really dig it.

The teacher, Lola, is a beaming ray of energy and enthusiasm. She taught us a couple dances with quick and simple choreographies. Very encouraging and full of tips, this girl is not only a beauty in three-inch heels, she completely disarms you and makes you feel like you've known her forever.

The class was small and varied even with four students. Besides me, there was another newbie who is taking the pole dancing class and two girls fresh off their first performance. The lights were low, the music was rich and the boas were plentiful.

However, if you think it's all swivels hips and head snaps without some sweat, you're sadly mistaken. I had a flash back to the first year that I belly danced. I remember how I used to struggle to make the movements look like the teacher and how I used to sweat. Lord, how I sweat tonight! You're using muscles differently and slowly. Just like in belly dancing—it looks like yeah, I could do that. And then you do it and cry in the morning when you try to move. This is a fabulous workout.

Overall? This is going to compliment my belly dancing beautifully. I can see it helping me with stage presence, confidence and the all-important… listen to the music! It really is invigorating, empowering and just plain sexy-fun.

As children, lots of us played dress up and strutted and danced and sang and were a star. In this class, I'm not just a star, but also a pinup girl with sexy heels, slinky gloves and a so-soft boa. Turn up the music!

No comments: