Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Reno and me


i joined a gym.

haha, yes. if you know me, you may now pick yourself up off the floor and stop laughing. i've barely used it in the two weeks i've been a member. i also bought four sessions with a personal trainer... hahaha. see above.

let's revisit why there are people laughing right now.

i hate doing anything that has the word reps associated with it. if you say, do (insert number). i think you're a boring old bird and before we get to 10, i'm already making the grocery list. i need to be engaged creatively. yeah. that's it.

i don't run, either. i run to ice cream trucks and from fires. you've all heard me say that. why? because in grade school, i got torn to shreds by miss applebaum for not being able to keep up with the rest of the class--this is what happens to fat kids. she also tormented me relentlessly about not being able to climb the rope and most of all for not performing my nemesis... the pull up. she even made the class stay after one day until i did all ten of them. bitch.

i was 75 lbs heavier and was never confident enough to go anywhere near a gym. i've always been the fat kid, fat girl... girl with a great sense of humour... blah, blah, blah. attractive people went to the gym.

add it all up and there you have my reasons for not going to the gym.

i would, however, dance, jazzercise, yoga, skate and walk all over the world.

in 2006, bam! weight fell off. was it the right time in my life? were the stars aligned? i got on weight watchers on a lark and it worked like a charm. though i'm pretty sure that last ten pounds is never going to come off. what the hell, 75 is damn good.

back to Reno. he's my insanely soft spoken, kind, young, optimistic and hot (in a 23-year old way) trainer.

i've seen him twice. both times it took 3 or 4 days for me to be able to move without groaning. we've had lovely chats about exercise and diet and what i've been doing with my life and how i ended up at the gym.

i DON'T have an answer to that one, Reno. my best answer is that i've lost the weight, and i want to explore some options here. plus, everyone that i know is running or riding a bike. i want to look better in that damn bedlah i dance in. that bedlah torments me.

Reno, who i do not blame, reviewed my "week of food" log. he was very impressed. (i'm apparently more knowledgeable than your average bear about food and exercise. this is my only glowing moment in the gym.)

however, even though i'm a shop the outside of the grocery girl who consumes fish, fruits and veggies more than most wildlife... it's not enough. good grief, man! he's tweaking my diet even more. but, that's cool too--i'm all about making the diet better. i could border on health nut if i didn't have some unexplained affinity for pizza rolls.

my only complaint with the lovely Reno is that between sessions i'm not doing anything but dancing--if i can move. he doesn't use the machines, so i'm doing push ups, lunges, and all manner craziness in the basement with the football sized dudes. holy moley! did you read that? the heavens just broke open and pigs are flying.

so far, i'm glad i signed on. but, i've got to admit, it's still really hard to go into that gym alone. i've not done it yet, but when i post this blog, i'm going to change and try again. i still feel like the fat girl that miss applebaum taunted and chastised.

but, damn it. i earned this. i will find a way. i always do.

2 comments:

Melody said...

I was the fat girl in school, too. And I definitely know how it can be discouraging to go to the gym! Good luck with the workouts, and remember actually getting there is really much harder than the workouts most of the time :)

flatflo said...

I was the beanpole-skinny kid but short. No speed or strength, either, so I never kept up with the class there. Now I've gained 40 pounds in the last 8 months (no, not preggers) and am about 55 over my goal weight. I have a membership at the Heights, but just haven't been going as often as I should. Could you loan me some of that motivation?