Saturday, December 19, 2009

a merry misfit...


i tend to see myself as a Hermey or a Bumble or Rudolph... i never quite fit the norms, and i'm snug and comfy on my isle of misfits.

this is my first holiday as an officially single woman in 26 years. that seems a little odd to say, but this is the first one without a serious boyfriend, fiance, or husband. i wasn't sure what it'd be like; turns out, it's a non-event other than my marking it here. but, i think it's worth noting because, well, it's something very new and different.

i have learned this year that i didn't know jack. i've never been about xmas from the mall; however, i've been a mad little elf baking and knitting and painting and ohhhhh! but, this year, i'm quite simply not "doing" a thing... i was troubled by this for weeks. then... the lesson emerged.

i thought that i knew what was important, but instead of the insane elfing (yes, it's a verb), this month has been full of developing new friendships and being a friend to my oldest and dearest. there have been hours at dinner, over cocktails, and marathon emails, texts, and phone calls. this has been the best holiday season ever!

the gift i have is my time... time to listen, time to hug, time to celebrate and toast--YOU! and the gift you give me... is that you join me in my merry goofiness!

and now? i'm going to toddle off into the heart of the isle of misfits--to the kitchen to whip up some xmas bark and cookies because it's snowing outside and i want to fatten you up for the winter!

1 comment:

PEICycler said...

Kim, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from PEI.