Thursday, June 25, 2009

wipe out...

i've been swapping music with a friend lately, and we got into surf music... i prefer the Ventures version to the Surfaris--it just has more zing if you ask me.

this tune goes back to some of my earliest memories when i was hanging out with my legendary uncle mickey in his room. i was just a wee little one, but he would play this and let me jump around and dance on his bed. when he played this on his guitar, i thought he was just about the coolest dude in the universe.

he had challenges in his short life and didn't live to see his son's first birthday. but, before we lost him, he left me with many happy memories and goofy stories. three things i learned from him: it's okay to dress up as a character and be a silly, laughing adult, it's also okay to be exuberant and just out there if that's who you are, and he taught me not to take myself so seriously.

i miss him very often...

No comments: