Tuesday, May 05, 2009

varsity dancers...


DSC06259, originally uploaded by MisfitHue.



We had our first major rehearsal for the May recital on Sunday.

The room was three times the size of the studio that we normally practice in, and there was a host of students in attendance that I’d never met.

My friend, Irina, met me at the door with my freshly altered skirt and sleeves, and we all quickly gathered in the unfamiliar territory—the level 2 Shaw Studio class, that is.

We were dressed in varying degrees of costuming… a couple students wore pieces and parts and a couple wore full costumes. I changed into my skirt and sleeves, put on my bedlah belt, and grabbed my costume veil. I figured this was the best time to get used to dancing in this get-up. But, I was still not comfortable enough to don the bra. Next time.

Heather laid out the ground rules and the order of the rehearsal. Then she launched into her speech on make-up. “You want to wear so much make-up that you’d be nervous to walk into Schnuck’s.” chuckles and knowing glances…

Level 2 was first up and I was nervous. I had recognized some of the faces of dancers that I’d admired in earlier shows—beautiful dancers. I would never compare myself, but being surrounded by other dancers who take the dance seriously certainly raises my desire to perform well.

We started with the zil dance and it went well—a couple of oopses jumped out, but only first song jitters. It was also the first time the entire group had practiced together. People in different locations have learned the same dance. The night of the performance will be the first time that we all dance together.

The second song was more of a struggle. There are more people, it’s three times as long, there’s a prop section and several entrance and exits. I thought it went rather well, considering all of that… more importantly, Heather seemed genuinely pleased.

I love this song, Darb el Habayeb, and this choreography. I’ve never danced a piece this long with so many rhythm changes. It’s a piece of music written for dancers. It has several parts. It soars, yet it’s earthy… sexy and giddy, even a tiny drum solo… an exciting challenge. There’s a point in the song that always makes me tear up… I don’t know why, but it just FEELS so good.

Once we were released for the day, I thought about taking advantage of the free time. Instead, I cozied up with a friend and we watched a few of the Level 3 dances. I’m so glad that I stayed. The dances were more complicated than ours, and there was a polish that I can only hope to achieve.

As I watched my friend who had moved to level 3 this past year, it occurred to me that I was watching the varsity team. I had this sense that next year, if I practiced really hard, I could make the Level 3 dances. It was inspiring! How fun to continue to feel challenged! That is the fantastic thing about being with this teacher and this studio… the constant challenge.

I’m really excited about the show…I love how organized and professional it is being planned and executed. There are lots of beautiful dancers and a real sense of community.

I hope that my joy shows in my dancing. That’s my only goal… well, and to not forget my choreo!

1 comment:

Jeannette E. Spaghetti said...

When is the show? If possible, I'd be interested in seeing it!

JnetWrites@gmail.com