Sunday, August 24, 2008

My life before you meant nothing…

I have to say that I’m ridiculously lucky to have such fabulous dancers influence my life in so many ways.

Today, another muse entered my life. I took a workshop with Nissa, a St. Louis teacher that I’ve been a little intimidated by for some time. I’ve seen her dance, and she is impressive.

I didn’t realize that as a teacher her sheer level of enthusiasm for the dance would tap into and sync with my own. Today’s workshop was about layering, but I learned more about the instruments and moods of the music. As if I’d forgotten the most important part, something clicked today.

At one point, Nissa was talking about a song in which the singer’s lyrics basically said that she has met the man of her dreams and all of her life before now meant nothing. I immediately thought, oh that’s sweet. But, I would be wrong! There is a real sadness in the song about the wasted time before. And yes, this… I understand.

In one moment an entire dance had a whole new context, and I understood Nissa’s earlier comments about completing the dance by understanding what the singer is saying in the music. Now, I suddenly had empathy with the song and danced it understanding the sense of regret. I'm adamant about lyrics in all other music... for me it's the most important part! why not middle eastern lyrics?

Nissa’s workshop, followed by a fabulous performance by Belly Dance Mirage at the International Festival, made for one more incredible day full of dancing, joy and new friendships.

My life changed the day I walked into my first dance class. I only wish it had happened sooner.

No comments: