Monday, January 02, 2006

Good Bye, Mike

Not a pretty picture, I admit, but this is how I greeted 2006. Sitting in the kitchen, wrapped up in my giant fuzzy robe with my neurotic cat curled up in my lap, I waited for the coffee. I flipped on the TV to watch some local, pre-game jabbering. I got a little vocal and scared the cat.

Talk of players and coaches moving and retiring always rocks my world. I love the Rams, but there are a number of players in the NFL that I watch with nearly as much enthusiasm. For me, football is not just about the Rams; it's about a good game.

The TV guys started tossing out possible exits. Might be Brett's last game in Lambeau. Last run for The Bus. Vermeil's bound to have a tearful goodbye in KC. Axe for Tice? Marshall's last run? Mike Martz cleared to play, but not picked.

I have opinions on all of these, but I won’t rant. I do believe Brett can and should play more. I think the Viking's waited 45 minutes too long to fire Tice. I think that Marshall should be on that field a whole lot more. And Mike? Well, Mike is tough, isn't he?

I have a love/hate relationship with Mike, like a million other people. Good coach/bad coach--living with Mike is like being stuck in a revolving door. I've tortured my ever-so-patient husband with rants that end with declarations of incapable play calling and ridiculous, fickle player treatment. Then my husband would throw a Hail Mary out for Mike. Humph!

But, I can never stay mad at Mike. He has too much spunk. Too much offensive genius. Too many wins. And you have to feel a little sympathy for the guy after Brenda got involved in the q-back debacle. Heck, you've got to feel a little sorry for Kurt, too.

And then, Mike got hit with some seriously negative karma. There was talk going in that if he didn't win in 05, he was finished in St. Louis. I raised an eyebrow and waited. Now, I have to admit, I'm feeling a little like he got the shaft on that last shot.

I do believe it's time for a new coach. The team is loaded with excellent players and they deserve a better coach and a little better behavior from the office. But, Mike's illness really highlighted the grey area in this decision. What might have happened if he hadn't gotten sick? Don't you wonder a little?

All this said, I wish him the best. I really believe that this is a great opportunity for him because there is a better place for him and his skills. I hope he finds it soon and I wish him great success.

And, maybe he'll change the way he handles challenges and timeouts? Naw, not Mike.

No comments: