Saturday, January 07, 2006

Evicting the Bouncing Yellow Ball

In school it was the administration vs. the students. Then boss vs. employee and average person vs. politician. All my life there has been an us and them. However, we and they both want to be happy. Neither they nor we want to suffer. We really aren't so different, but it is so easy to ignore what we do not see.

Somewhere in Bangladesh a woman fell asleep at the sewing machine she was working at for a pittance a day. Somewhere in China a girl is trapped in a system reminiscent of the early 20th century coal mine company town. Somewhere down the street from me is a third generation hardware store about to go out of business.

Now, all things in moderation. I believe we all tote some serious Karma baggage, but this is when and where I take responsibility for my actions and the results. I know that not buying shampoo and toilet paper from Wal-mart will not save the seamstress, the factory worker or the hardware store owner from the Karma that is their own. However, it is my choice not to support company practices that I would not practice myself.

I have never liked Wal-mart anyway. Have you ever shopped in a Wal-mart? It's pure suffering. I actually got more satisfaction from surprising someone with kindness than anything the store had to offer. But, I digress.

I'm not really into resolutions, but I am resolved. No more Wally World for me.

No comments: