Wednesday, November 11, 2009

charity enough?


i have struggled with posting this photo. the quality is lousy, but it speaks to me in a way that the series that followed do not, even though they are crisp and vivid.

this woman sat there in an island of cement. people kept an extra foot from her. though the people at the corner were boisterously garnering change, she sat quietly with her mcdonald's cup and hand written sign that she'd obviously spent a lot of time to make clear and readable. she barely raised her head when i approached her.

seeing this shot, even now so many weeks later, causes me a rush of emotion. being near her... i felt so broken. just broken, not sad or depressed. just a whiff of hopelessness. but mostly broken.

she was so young and beautiful. she was stunning.

2 comments:

Lynn Newsom said...

As someone who works with the homeless. I know that "broken" feeling you're talking about. It's the reason I work to help the homeless.

I appreciate that you posted this. So many people don't want to acknowledge homelessness, or want to tell themselves that homeless people must have done something to deserve their fate. Thank you for posting a picture that shows just the opposite.

Drew said...

To a very real extent this is the crux of my arguments to the club in photo journalism. Technically it wouldn't get published but that doesn't diminish the impact of it at all.

I am also sure that your next thought was, "Wow, I want to know what happens next to her." I know that is what the photo evokes in me. It speaks to the innate reporter in you that I keep trying to get you to recognize and embrace. So let it flow and tell your story.

Its well done and I am delighted you posted it. Nice work and I look forward to more,.