Sunday, October 08, 2006

Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Today I washed my car. It was covered in approximately 3.5 inches of dust and was giving me heavy guilt. It is after all a 2000 Celica--a car that several teenagers have assured me is incredibly cool.

After a wash, I like to take out my car for a nice air-dry race on the highway. Little beads of water zip up the windshield and off the roof, onto every car I pass. Just add a fitting tune at full volume and it's a 15-minute treat.

I was on the return leg when I noticed a person on the Big Bend bridge...

He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

As I approached I recognized him. Not a man I know, but I man I have seen here before...

Nowhere Man, don't worry
Take your time, don't hurry
Leave it all till somebody else lends you a hand

An African-American man in a red tank shirt, stopped in the middle of the east bound lane, starring down at the oncoming traffic...

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

He's alone on the bridge clutching the fence as though he's trapped...

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

How many times have I seen him?? 2? 3 times? Does he see me watching him?

He's a real Nowhere Man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

And in an instant he's in my review mirror... an image with his back to me.

Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post -- you are a magnificent, creative writer and don't let anyone every make you feel differently.

Anonymous said...

Kym, You can write like I only wish I could. You have such a proven talent in what you express in this blog. Go for it!!!!! Don't hide in this blog. You've got something to say and know how to say it. Shout out your words to more of us. Do it, do it, do it - Miss Skinny Pants!