Saturday, March 18, 2006

Shred, Baby, Shred

I was afraid of my office until yesterday. After two personal days and all the will power I could muster, I finally see an end to the paper jam.

I'm a self-proclaimed compulsive neat freak who loves to organize. (There's a line that makes a prospective employer's mouth water.) However, I've realized that I have a hitch in my neurosis. If a letter needs to be read, but can be read later, it is put into "the stack". Like my earlier fear of banks and post offices, the time has come to pummel this hitch.

The Stack in my office stuffed my office. Yes, neatly hidden and organized, but a major CF nonetheless. The Stack lived neatly in trays on over my computer, neatly on top of my desk, neatly inside my desk, neatly in the bill file, neatly on the bookshelf, neatly everywhere!

I do have systems. The important things do happen. It's The Stuff that comes in the mail and email from my HR dept and everyone else I have an account with that clogs the machine. Even though I can be heard ripping and shredding junk mail every week, people insist on sending me newsletters on my benefits, letters about improved service, or just other crap regarding my accounts.

"This is important, I'll read it later." But I won't.

But as of today, I have. I've finally emerged like a spring tulip. Hehe! I spent two days reading, filing and shredding. Now, not only do I know all about the pet insurance my company now offers, my chi is flowing freely. Amen!

No comments: